How to Clean Wrought Iron Fireplace Doors
At SoCal Fireplace Mantels, we find that wrought iron fireplace doors are a classically beautiful way to add charm to your fireplace. We sometimes have customers who love the idea of wrought iron doors, but they are not sure how to clean and maintain this type of material. The concept of cleaning these doors may seem daunting, but the process is easier than you may think. You can quickly clean your doors with everyday household products and a bit of time.
Some of our customers have fireplace doors made of only wrought iron and others have doors which combine glass and wrought iron. Here are steps to cleaning both kinds of fireplace doors:
• Begin by putting a protective cover around the area where you will clean. If it is possible, removing the doors can make the process easier. Waterproof gloves will help to protect your hands.
• Fill a spray bottle with warm water and set aside it is for rinsing.
• Mix one quart of warm water with ¼ c white vinegar and pour into a second spray bottle.
• Saturate a cleaning cloth or sturdy sponge with the cleaning solution and wipe the wrought iron in a circular motion. Clean a small area at a time until all wrought iron is clean.
• Rinse the wrought iron with warm water and dry thoroughly.
If your doors are a combination of glass and wrought iron, you should clean the metal as directed above and follow these additional steps to clean the glass.
• In a spray bottle, mix two teaspoons of soda crystals with one quart of warm water.
• Spray the glass with the water and soda crystal mixture and allow it to soak for ten minutes.
• Use a fine scouring pad to scrub away built up carbon then wipe with a clean cloth.
Caring for your wrought iron fireplace doors is not a difficult task. Cleaning the doors on a regular basis will prevent the build-up of dirt and carbon and make future cleaning fast and easy.